GRE stands for Graduate Record Examinations.It is a standardised aptitude exam with a pre-defined syllabus. It is one of the most widely accepted admissions tests for graduate and business school programs, and is used for admissions decisions for all types of master's, MBA,specialized master's in business, and doctoral programs.
There are two types of GRE test. The GRE General Test that measures verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, critical thinking and analytical writing skills - the types of skills required for success in today’s demanding graduate and business school programs - as well as the GRE Subject .
Test that measures knowledge of a particular field of study helping students stand out from other applicants by emphasizing their knowledge and skill level in a specific area.
GRE is a multiple-choice multi-stage test that measures verbal reasoning,quantitative reasoning,critical thinking and analytical writing skills. It has been designed in a way so as to calculate the student's intellectual and logical abilities, adapting to performance by selecting questions based on previous answers. The test allows its takers to skip questions within a section, go back and change answers and have the flexibility to choose which questions within a section they want to answer first.
The GRE question types are designed to closely reflect the kind of thinking that students will be expected to do in graduate or business school and are based upon the following skills:
· Verbal Reasoning - This section measures a student’s ability to analyze and evaluate written material and to synthesize information obtained from it. It measures the ability to analyze relationships among component parts of sentences and recognize relationships among concepts and words.
· Quantitative Reasoning - This section measures a student’s problem-solving ability and focuses on basic concepts of algebra, arithmetic, data analysis and geometry.
· Analytical Writing - This section measures analytical writing skills and critical thinking. It specifically measure’s a student’s ability to articulate and support ideas that are complex in nature both clearly and effectively.
The Analytical Writing section will always be first and will come before all other test sections. The Verbal Reasoning,Quantitative Reasoning and Experimental Section(the latter of which is not scored but which can be either Verbal or Quantitative) may appear in any order.An identified Research Section that is not scored may also be included in the test but will always appear at the end.
Countries accepting the above test: USA, Canada & Germany.
Exam Pattern : (Total Time : 3hrs 45mins.)
1. Verbal Section - 20 questions, Time Allotted - 30 mins.
2. Quantitative Section -20 questions, Time Allotted - 35 mins.
3. Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA) - 2 Essays – Issue & Argument, Time Allotted - 30 mins each.
4. GRE score is out of 340.
Website : http://www.ets.org/gre
Registration : Online
Nature of Exam : Computer Based Test (CBT)
Test Fees : USD $ 205
Frequency of Test : Throughout the year
Score Validity : 5 Years
Score Reporting : There is a provision of reporting your GRE test scores to a maximum of four universities of your choice, the cost of which is built into the GRE test fee you pay.